A group of Australia’s largest waste management companies are calling for the NSW container deposit scheme (CDS) to be delayed seven months so it can start on the same day as the Queensland CDS on July 1, 2018.
The National Waste and Recycling Industry Council (NWRIC), whose five foundation members are Veolia, JJ Richards, Cleanaway, Remondis and Suez, last week voted to lobby the NSW government to delay the NSW scheme.
The NWRIC says the proposed state-wide network of more than 450 collection points that the government has asked network operators to set up is incomplete.
The network could face further delays as some collection points need development applications and work on safety and traffic management.
The industry group argues that the scheme is not yet ready to be rolled out as scheduled by the NSW government on 1 December and says that pushing ahead with it this year could end in tears.
NWRIC CEO Max Spedding said there were several issues yet to be properly thrashed out and the rules around the scheme had been released only six months ago.
“The industry feels that the scheme is under done and a bit rushed. We’re concerned that there are still these unknowns that would like to see resolved earlier rather than later,” Mr Spedding said.
To read the full story, visit Government News here.