Project managers, facilities coordinators, operations managers – facilities management, facilities help-desk operators and fit-out facilities project managers make the list of the top skill shortfalls for the first half of 2020, according to recruitment firm Hays.
In its latest Hays Jobs Report, covering the January to June 2020 half, Hays reveals the skills that are in greatest demand in 32 sectors and industries.
“We’re seeing vacancy activity across many sectors for skilled professionals, including finance, IT, marketing, HR, civil and commercial construction, healthcare, defence, office support and resources and mining,” said Nick Deligiannis, managing director of Hays in Australia & New Zealand.
“But there are wider macro issues at play that will dictate the success of a jobseeker this year. The key trends are for skilled professionals who, regardless of their role or industry, possess strong interpersonal and creative skills. Employers also want people who can make data-based decisions, adapt well to change and are continuous learners.
“In response to rapid technological change, soft, social and emotional skills also continue to grow in importance and are becoming prerequisites across all job functions.”
According to the Hays Jobs Report, skills in demand for the six months ahead include:
- Accountancy & Finance: Management Accountants, Accounts Receivable, Credit Controllers, Business Services and SMSF Accountants;
- Architecture: Revit Technicians, Project Lead Architects, Design Architects, Interior Designers and Strategic and Statutory Planners;
- Banking: Credit Assessors, Business Development Managers, Financial Advisers, Paraplanners, AML Analysts and Regulatory Compliance Managers;
- Construction: Contract Administrators (civil & commercial), Site Managers (civil & commercial), Project Managers (civil), Project Engineers (civil) and Estimators (commercial);
- Contact Centres: Telesales, Collections Officers, Workforce planning professionals, CRM systems expertise and process and continuous improvement expertise;
- Defence: Systems Engineers, Mechanical and Electrical Engineers, Integrated Logistics Support workers, Project Managers and Avionics Engineers;
- Education: Early Childhood Teachers, Science, Technology, TAS and Mathematics School Teachers, Early Childhood Educators, OOSH Coordinators and Vocational and Higher Education Middle Managers;
- Energy: Power Systems Engineers, Grid Connection Engineers and Managers, Origination Specialists and Protection and Control Technicians;
- Engineering: Civil Engineers, Senior Civil Engineers, Civil Project Managers, Structural Engineers and sustainability professionals;
- Facilities Management: Project Managers, Facilities Coordinators, Operations Managers – Facilities Management, Facilities Helpdesk Operators and Fit-out Facilities Project Managers;
- Healthcare: Occupational Therapists, Case Managers, Registered Nurses, Speech Pathologists and Physiotherapists;
- Human Resources: Talent Acquisition Specialists and Coordinators, HR Business Partners, HR Advisors, Learning & Development Consultants, HR Administrators/Coordinators, Organisational Development Specialists and Change Managers;
- Information Technology: Cloud Engineers, Cloud Architects, Project Managers, Network Engineers, Full Stack Software Engineers, Data Engineers and Data Scientists;
- Insurance: Life Insurance Claims Consultants, Account Executives, Property Claims Consultants, Dispute Resolution and Insurance Risk and Compliance specialists;
- Legal: Construction Lawyers, Commercial Property Lawyers, Corporate/M&A Lawyers, Employment Lawyers, Financial Services Lawyers and Commercial Litigators;
- Life Sciences: Clinical Research Associates, Sales Representatives (pharmaceuticals), Regulatory Affairs professionals, Territory Managers (devices) and Clinical Trials Associates;
- Logistics: Multi-skilled candidates across transport, warehousing and supply chain, Transport Allocators, Freight Forwarders, Warehouse Managers and Supervisors and Import and Export Coordinators;
- Manufacturing & Operations: Field Service Technicians, Engineering Drafters, Quality Managers, Production Managers and Project Engineers;
- Marketing & Digital: Social Media and SEO Digital Marketing Specialists, Digital Content Managers, Communications Managers, Marketing Insights Analysts and Public Relations Specialists;
- Office Support: Executive and Personal Assistants, Team Assistants, Project Administrators, Legal Secretaries and Corporate Receptionists;
- Oil & Gas: Project Engineers, Estimators, Planners, Schedulers, Cost Engineers and Boilermakers;
- Policy & Strategy: Project Managers, Senior Project Managers, Change Project Managers, Governance & Risk Managers, Policy Officers and Advisors and Quality Officers and Managers;
- Procurement: End-to-end procurement specialists, Commercial Managers, Procurement Managers, Category Managers and APS 5 and APS 6 Procurement Officers;
- Projects & Business Change: Project Managers, Business Analysts, Change Managers, Change Analysts and Project Coordinators;
- Property: Commercial Development Managers, Commercial Sales and Leasing Agents, Commercial Property Managers, Owners Corporation Managers/Strata Managers and Residential Property Managers;
- Resources & Mining: Mining Engineers (Underground and Surface), Geotechnical Engineers, Drill and Blast Operators, Heavy Diesel Fitters and Dump Truck Operators;
- Retail: Merchandise Planners, Buyers, Fashion Designers, Product Designers, Store Managers, Senior Store Managers and Merchandise Allocators;
- Sales: Business Development Managers, Account Managers, Technical Sales Representatives, Territory Managers and Sales Engineers;
- Trades & Labour: Air Conditioning Refrigeration Tradespeople, Solar Electricians, Heavy Diesel Mechanics, Machine Operators and Pipelayers.
Comment below to have your say on this story.
If you have a news story or tip-off, get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sign up to INCLEAN’s newsletter.