The Global Biorisk Advisory Council (GBAC), a division of ISSA, has announced its GBAC STAR™ facility accreditation program is being adopted by high-profile facilities and organisations in 30 countries around the world.
GBAC STAR offers a formal approach to cleaning, disinfection, and infection prevention in commercial and public facilities of all sizes, including convention centers, stadiums, restaurants, hotels, and more.
“With 30 countries now represented, the growing appeal of the GBAC STAR program gives us confidence that organisations are ready for adapting to a new era of cleanliness,” said GBAC executive director Patricia Olinger.
“By carefully considering the proper protocols and techniques necessary for minimizing risk and fulfilling GBAC STAR’s framework, participants make environments safer for guests, residents, and employees.”
Additional facilities that have recently committed to pursue accreditation by vertical market include:
- Stadiums and Arenas: CenturyLink Field in Seattle, home to the NFL’s Seattle Seahawks; Chase Center in San Francisco, home to the NBA’s Golden State Warriors; Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif., home to the NHL’s Anaheim Ducks; and Centerplate at Wanda Metropolitano Stadium in Madrid, Spain, home to the Spanish soccer club Atlético Madrid
- Convention Centers: World Trade Center Mexico City; Toronto Congress Centre; Mandalay Bay Convention Center in Las Vegas; Jacob K. Javits Convention Center in New York City; and the San Jose McEnery Convention Center in San Jose, Calif.
- Hotels: The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Nigel in Dana Point, Calif.; Marriott Marquis Chicago Hotel; The Shilla Hotel in Seoul, South Korea, a Samsung Group affiliate; and The Lodge at Ashford Castle in County Mayo, Ireland, part of the Red Carnation Hotel Collection
- Airports: Palm Beach International Airport in West Palm Beach, Fla.; and John Glenn Columbus International Airport in Columbus, Ohio.
Further, the following cities and destinations have committed to the GBAC STAR program to support their local venues and businesses gain accreditation:
- Visit Baltimore, which is supporting more than 200 city facilities such as meeting venues, hotels, restaurants, museums, attractions, public markets, and more.
- Experience Columbus (Columbus, Ohio), which includes John Glenn Columbus International Airport, Greater Columbus Convention Center, Central Ohio Transit Authority, and other event venues, transportation hubs, lodging and attractions
- Discover the Palm Beaches (Palm Beach County, Fla.), which includes Palm Beach International Airport, Palm Beach County Convention Center, more than 150 hotels, cultural institutions, and the county’s two MLB spring training ballparks
- VisitDallas, the Dallas Tourism Public Improvement District hotels, Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center Dallas, and Dallas city-owned arts and cultural institutions.
GBAC STAR also has garnered support from a growing number of industry groups and associations. Recently added industry supporters include:
- The National Grocers Association and its 1500 members, which account for nearly 8500 retail locations across North America
- Association Forum and its 4000 members in Chicago and the surrounding area.
These venues, destinations and organizations join a rapidly expanding roster of facilities that have committed to pursuing GBAC STAR accreditation as they prepare to reopen safely and confidently following the COVID-19 pandemic.
“The ongoing marketplace adoption of GBAC STAR demonstrates that it is well on its way to being considered the gold standard of prepared facilities,” said ISSA executive director John Barrett.
“With continued interest from facilities and industry-leading organisations for third-party validation of their cleaning, disinfection and infectious disease prevention measures, we can limit the occurrence and impact of future infectious outbreaks, making facilities safer than ever before.”
To view additional committed facilities and supporters, visit gbac.issa.com/gbac-star-facilities-and-supporters/.
For accreditation criteria and facility applications, visit www.gbac.org.
INCLEAN is published by The Intermedia Group on behalf of ISSA
Comment below to have your say on this story.
If you have a news story or tip-off, get in touch at email@example.com.
Sign up to INCLEAN’s newsletter.