The Queensland division of the Building Service Contractors Association of Australia (BSCAA) is hosting a free seminar – the 2017 North Queensland Roadshow – for companies in the building services industry in Mackay, Townsville and Cairns from the 4 to 6 April 2017.
The seminar, designed for those in the contract cleaning, security, traffic control, facilities management and grounds maintenance industries, will discuss portable long service leave for cleaners, industrial relations concerns, what to do if an employee is on WorkCover and sham contracting.
Topics to be covered
Speakers from QLeave, Workplace Advisory Group, WorkCover Queensland and the Fair Work Ombudsman (Cairns only) will discuss the following topics:
- Understanding your QLeave responsibilities as an employer
- What workers are covered
- Interstate schemes
- How to lodge your reimbursement claim for long service leave paid
- The types of long service leave claims an employee can make
- Paying long service leave to an employee
- How to deal with long service leave payments that you are not liable for
- Online submission of quarterly returns
Workplace Advisory Group
- The importance of having letters of employment, company policies and inductions
- What is an unfair dismissal
- How to deal with constant sick leave
- The role of WorkCover Queensland
- What to do if an employee is on WorkCover
- Injury prevention
Fair Work Ombudsman (Cairns only)
- Definitions of misclassification and sham contracting
- Recognising the difference between employees and independent contractors
- How to ensure you’re compliant with Commonwealth workplace laws
The 2017 North Queensland Roadshow will take place in Mackay on 4 April 2017, Townsville on 5 April 2017 and Cairns on 6 April 2017.